Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Tell-Tale Heart

The Tell-Tale Heart
    The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe is a suspense filled story that keeps you wanting to read more. In the story, A crazy man can’t clear his conscience from committing murder. He feels like the eyes of the corpse’s yes were watching him and he couldn’t bare it. He kept hearing groans and moans, yet nobody else was in the house with him. He felt mortal terror. Even after he buried the body under the floor boards, he still heard the heart beats. He couldn’t take it any longer. Edgar Allan Poe uses many details that make you more interested in the story. I think that theme that matches this story is “Man Vs. Self” because he made the choice to commit the murder, so his conscience ate him alive. Karma struck back, what goes around, comes around.

    He doesn’t know why he killed the eldery man. “I loved the old man. He had never wronged me. He had never given me insult. For his gold I had no desire. I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! He had the eye of a vulture --a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees --very gradually --I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever.” That quote was from the second paragraph. I included that quote because that shows that he didn’t know why he killed the man, he felt an urge, so he used his eyes as an excuse. “Madmen know nothing.” This quote was from the third paragraph. I chose this quote because it shows that he is a cray person, so that’s what helps build up to the rising action. Both of those quotes helped prove that the theme that matched the story best is “Man Vs. Self.”

    The Tell-Tale Heart was an awesome story that keeps people wanting to read more. The theme that matches the story best is “Man Vs. Self.” Edgar Allan Poe is a great author. “I smiled, --for what had I to fear?” -Edger Allan Poe 1843 :)

2 comments:

  1. Great response! I love how you explained in details about the story, Lmaoo Nice opinion of the story too. <3

    ReplyDelete